Sunday, August 14, 2011

FELLOW TRANSFER STUDENT Klara Kang

 
LaGuardia 2010 - Florida Institute of Technology
LaGuardia showed me I could dream bigger. If
I hadn’t started my education there I would most
likely still be cleaning bathrooms.”

IN 2008, WHEN KLARA KANG was considering the possibility of getting a college education so she wouldn’t have to clean other peoples’ bathrooms— the job she held prior to entering college- she was faced a major obstacle: What to do with her 1-year-old son while she attended class? “I couldn’t afford a babysitter or daycares in my neighborhood, so when I learned about LaGuardia’s Early Childhood Learning Center I was sold on my decision to go to school,” explains Klara. Having affordable childcare on campus allowed Klara to devote her time to studying so she could secure a better future for her family.

She enrolled at LaGuardia as an Accounting major and immediately began to excel. Klara joined Phi Theta Kapa, the international honor society for two-year colleges and eventually was elected Treasurer. PTK opened a world of possibilities for her, and professors encouraged her look beyond simply being a bookkeeper. With a 4.0 G.P.A. Klara began applying to some of the best universities in the country, NYU and Columbia among them. Klara chose to pursue her dream of becoming a marine biologist by continuing her education at Florida Institute of Technology.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I served as a publication officer for Phi Theta Kappa. I never applied to NYU or Columbia as neither of them offers a marine biology major. I applied to four universities and was accepted to all of them. I am very pleased with my choice and I am enjoying my studies at Florida Tech very much. LaGuardia opened the world of opportunities for me!

    ReplyDelete